According to FBI statistics, in 2009 there were an estimated 2,199,125 burglaries in the U.S and victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $4.6 billion in lost property. Overall, the average dollar loss per burglary was $2,096. Imagine that! To put it simply, burglars pay the most attention to homes that are easy targets. How ready is your home?
Here are some tips for making your home the one they skip:
- Lights- Burglars prefer dark properties, so keep your home and property well lit. Have motion detectors set up near entrances and when you plan on leaving your home for a few days, leave some lights on or schedule them to turn on at different times to make it seem like someone is inside.
- Locks- Locks vary in strength. We recommend to upgrade your locks to heavy-duty, dead bolt locks for maximum protection and extra security.
- Entrance Doors- Some doors are stronger than others. Solid core wood and metals doors are the strongest. It may be smart to add a small peephole to be able to identify who is outside without having to open it. Sliding glass doors tend to be vulnerable, so secure them with a secondary lock.
- Garage Doors- Garage service doors are easy targets for burglars. Add a dead bolt, keep the door in the garage that leads into your home locked, and possibly install a security passcode.
- Windows- Keep windows locked, especially on the ground level! If you have basement windows use grilles or grates (these can be easily opened from inside in the event of a fire).
- Mail- When traveling, ask a neighbor or family member to collect your mail or have it held at your post office until you return.
- Yard Maintenance- Clear shrubbery or keep trimmed down outside your windows so that you are able to see outside. Also, cut down tree limbs that are close to windows to prevent burglars from climbing them and getting into your home. Keep your grass cut and control the amount of weeds growing. If you do not maintain your lawn, this may signify that you are away from home. If you plan on being away for a long period of time, as a friend or use a landscaping company to maintain your lawn.
Thousands of dollars in property loss result from burglaries each year and about 65%, the majority of all burglaries are residential. Be sure to speak with an insurance professional to make sure you have the proper coverage in the case of a burglary crime.
If you have any questions about your existing policy, are inquiring information about a possible future policy or need further information, please call us at (631) 738-7300 or get a quick quote at www.vrpinsurance.com
You can also check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vrpinsurance
and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VRPInsurance