VRP Insurance wants to discuss mobile equipment

Many people make the wrong assumption that a policy in which is made to protect autos and trucks owned by businesses, would cover all types of vehicles. There are some circumstances for when there is damage to certain types of vehicles and legal responsibility for their use, which may be covered by two separate policies: a commercial automobile policy and a commercial property or commercial general liability policy.  Mobile equipment falls into that area of insurance coverage.

The distinction between regular commercial vehicles and mobile equipment vehicles is quite simple. Vehicles are used to transport persons or property while the mobile equipment is proposed to perform the function of the particular equipment. The property’s mobility acts on getting the equipment to a site for completion of a job.

Because of this difference, mobile equipment qualifies for coverage under:

· A commercial automobile policy when the loss involves operation of the property as a vehicle traveling to and from job sites, while being loaded, entering in and out of it, and other similar circumstances.

· A commercial property or commercial general liability policy when the loss involves operation of the property as equipment. Generally the equipment is parked and anchored during such use.

Some examples of mobile equipment include:

  • Asphalt pavers
  • Tractors
  • Graders
  • Backhoes
  • Mowers
  • Manlifts
  • Buckets
  • Scrapers
  • Power shovels
  • Rollers
  • Fellers/bunchers
  • Front-end loaders
  • Rear-end loaders
  • Stone crushing plants
  • Drilling rigs
  • Mounted generators
  • Borers
  • Concrete mixers
  • Trenchers
  • Off-highway trucks
  • Forklifts
  • Crew Transports
  • Shredders
  • Conveyors
  • Mobile Communication Centers
  • De-limbers
  • De-barkers
  • Chippers
  • Grinders
  • Compactors
  • Peeling Machines
  • Pile drivers
  • Tower cranes
  • Skidders
  • Slashers
  • Mobile cranes
  • Derricks
  • Excavators
  • Bulldozers
  • Traffic Light Service Trucks
  • Boom Trucks
  • Cranes with magnets
  • Track-type loaders
  • Log loaders
  • Pumpers
  • Recyclers
  • Grapplers
  • Distributors

If you know you are require to protect your vehicle that also functions as mobile equipment, be sure that you discuss your proper coverage needs with an insurance professional.

If you have any questions about your existing policy, are inquiring information about a possible future policy or need further information, please call us at (631) 738-7300 or get a quick quote at www.vrpinsurance.com

You can also check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/vrpinsurance

and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VRPInsurance